Welcome to my consumption. Cooking is how I express my personal creativity and my love for those I feed. For the most part, I try to eat clean (no white flour/refined sugar, I avoid heavily processed and fast foods) but I don't expect that of others.

I'm happiest in my kitchen, creating tasty vittles out of simple, wholesome foods.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Heart-healthy and Wallet-friendly Pasta Dish



This Italian NEVER thought that subsituting an oil-based, tomato-based, or creme-based pasta sauce with reduced-sodium chicken broth would cut the mustard, but I've been schooled. This is quite possibly one of the most fresh and satisfying recipe I've made thus far and I've got plenty of leftovers to enjoy it for days to come. I ate a large portion last night (far too large, couldn't help myself), then I put the remainder of the meal in three separate tupperware container and off they went to the freezer for quick easy lunches that aren't housed in a chemical-laden box. Tip: always freeze leftovers in portions that you can easily snag and take to work. Sometimes we waste leftovers cause we're sick of them or we just eat them cause their there...make use of your food and be wise about not wasting. I assume everyone reading this is smart enough bring your lunch to work (unless you travel for work or if you're rich and can eat out daily), so make it easier on yourself by freezing leftovers.

Recipe:

8 oz whole-wheat angel hair pasta
sliced grape tomatoes (they go in very last)

4 cups spinach

1 large yellow onion

1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth

2 large chicken breasts

oregneno

garlic

Sautee the onions in a bit of oilve oil until transparent, add bite sized chicken pieces, seasonings, and finally spinach. Once the spinach has been sauteed, add 1 cup of chicken broth, 1 tbs butter, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the broth combo to the cooked angel hair pasta and mix together well. Add grape tomatoes at very end. Most importantly, squeeze fresh lemon over your serving...it absolutely completes the package.

This entire meal (which divided into many meals) cost approximately $7.20...you can't even go out to one lunch for less that that these days, PLUS you have tax/tip....but this $7.20 made me one giant dinner and three lunches. SO, $3.00 dinner and three $1.40 lunches. You gotta use your melon, peeps. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment