Welcome to my consumption. Cooking is how I express my personal creativity and my love for those I feed. For the most part, I try to eat clean (no white flour/refined sugar, I avoid heavily processed and fast foods) but I don't expect that of others.

I'm happiest in my kitchen, creating tasty vittles out of simple, wholesome foods.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ay de mi!...Mexican-Style Casserole






The inspiration? A monstrosity of a zucchini from my dad's garden. I'm not a huge fan of stand-alone zucchini so i had to come up with something tasty to polish this beast off....the zucchini, of course ;)

Meanwhile, this took a bit of time, but the finished product was more than worth it.

First things first, the marinade for the chicken: 1 tbs vinegar, 1tbs chili powder, 1 garlic clove, 1 tbs cinammon, 1 tbs cumin, 1 tbs olive oil. Cut up chicken pieces and let marinate in this concoction while you prep the rest.

Sautee 1 medium-large spanish onion in olive oil until transparent. Add diced tomatoes, corn, and zucchini pieces and chili powder/garlic. Let sautee until cooked to your liking. In the meantime, start pan-cooking that chicken and get your spanish rice started.

When everything is cooked, transfer all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (your choice, i go with muenster since that's what most mexican dishes are made with...and because the flavor is unbeatable in a dish like this). Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 pan, add a thin topping of shredded cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes just until the cheese is fully melted.

Good times, people. Good times. I felt really satisfied after eating this. Not too full but not craving anything else. This meal has it all and the leftovers will freeze nicely to grab for quick lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment