Welcome to my consumption. Cooking is how I express my personal creativity and my love for those I feed. For the most part, I try to eat clean (no white flour/refined sugar, I avoid heavily processed and fast foods) but I don't expect that of others.

I'm happiest in my kitchen, creating tasty vittles out of simple, wholesome foods.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Southwest Obsessed


If you ask me my favorite kind of anything, there's a good chance I'll answer "Mexican" (this goes for food, men, Catholic ornamentation, travel spots etc.). There is nothing I love more than southwestern ingredients coexisting on a wheat tortilla. Black beans, tri-colored peppers, tomatillo, cilantro, corn, grilled steak, cheese....holy smokes, it's getting warm in here.
The flavor combination of these ingredients leaves a consistent yearning in the soul of my taste buds. I find any excuse to conjure up a meal using these staples, as they are ALWAYS present in my kitchen. And not to blow my own mariachi horn, but my Chicano boyfriend, Jesus (pronounced Hey-Zeus...which is why you'll see him referred to as Zeus), loves my "South of the Border" creations...which leads me to believe I'm doing something right :)
Anyhow, pictured here is my idea of the perfect quesadilla. I made a LOT and froze the rest to bring for lunches this week. Wanna see how easy they are to make?
-First I spray a small sauté pan with a cooking spray (no oil for this recipe, keeping it light).
-Then I place a VERY lightly buttered wheat tortilla butter-side-down on the skillet/pan.
-I shred cheese (your choice, just not processed crap) over the tortilla and while waiting for it to melt, I add to one side the concoction I've previously cooked/prepared. In this case, I used chicken breast, tri-colored peppers, Spanish onion, and black beans.
-Once added, I fold the empty side over the filling (creating a half circle) and flip to the other side for 1 minute or less. At this point, we just want the ingredients to get to know each other and allow the melting cheese to get all up in everyone's business. Make sense?

The kind I made for Zeus included shrimp, avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, cheese, and tomato. They were DE-LICIOUS! I can't wait to make them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment