Welcome to my consumption. Cooking is how I express my personal creativity and my love for those I feed. For the most part, I try to eat clean (no white flour/refined sugar, I avoid heavily processed and fast foods) but I don't expect that of others.

I'm happiest in my kitchen, creating tasty vittles out of simple, wholesome foods.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Tostada Takes the Cake!

I have SO many blog entries to catch up on (you can look forward to mac and cheese, lasagna roll-ups, french toast, etc...) but my dinner last night MUST be revealed NOW! I want you to understand that when I say these flavors were perfect together, I mean absolute heaven. I was so into the taste, consistancy, and texture of these that I literally turned off the tv because it was distracting my enjoyment. True story, it was kinda wild.

I've gotten many requests for calorie counts for my recipes so I'm succumbing to the pressure. It's a great deal of work, but my readers are most definitely worth it.

Shrimp and Avacado Tostadas
Preheat oven to 300. While waiting, sautee 1/4 onion in 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Once onion is clear, add shrimp (I used 8 medium sized ones for 1 tostada) and sauteee for about 5 minutes until the curl and are pretty pink. Toss a whole wheat tortilla into the oven and let toast for about 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, cut up 1/3 of an avocado, tomato, and measure out 1/3 cup of black beans. (use any toppings you like, these are just HIGHLY reccommended, as they play very well together).
Meanwhile, pull your tortilla out of the over to let cool for a few minutes while you prep the base spred.
Base spread- mash 1/3 cup of black beans with a fork and add 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce or salsa, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Mix it all together until it becomes like a paste. If you have a lime on hand, squeeze the juice from 1/2 lime into the mixture to add more flavors.
Cover the tortilla with the black bean spread and add the toppings. At this point, your tostada should look something like this...


Finally, cover with a thin layer of cheese (I used 1/4 cup of monterey jack) and toss back in the oven. Bake just until cheese melts and promptly remove. Now find somewhere comfy to sit, eliminate all distractions, and ENJOY!
Calories for 1 tostada (includes all ingredients listed here)=560 (does not include side dish of kale shown in picture).


Here it is again after I took a few bites. I've never done that (photographed while eating) but it was so damn good, I was compelled to document it!

No comments:

Post a Comment