Welcome to my consumption. Cooking is how I express my personal creativity and my love for those I feed. For the most part, I try to eat clean (no white flour/refined sugar, I avoid heavily processed and fast foods) but I don't expect that of others.

I'm happiest in my kitchen, creating tasty vittles out of simple, wholesome foods.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The people have spoken and I am BACK! So much has happened in the last year since I've posted. I am no longer cooking from my itty bitty kitchen overlooking downtown. I've traded my view for a bigger kitchen in my own...wait for it...house! Eeeek! I own a precious little brick house 10 minutes from downtown and I adore it. I especially adore my kitchen and I sill spend 80% of my waking hours in there prepping for meal after meal. ALSO, another big change...I'm soon to be no longer cooking for one. I'm getting married to the kindest, most hilarious man on earth in just 3 months so I've gotta polish up my culinary skills before then to make a good wife. SOOOOO, let's start off with a simple meal that I think is fun to make and even more fun to eat. Zucchini boats! I only made one zucchini (two boats) so here's a small recipe but you can adjust it for as many boats as your family can down. First things first, preheat oven to 350. Next, slice zucchini in half and boil the halves for about 5 mins to soften their little bodies up. This makes it bake faster PLUS it becomes so much easier to scoop their innards after they're boiled. In the meantime, saute some sweet onion, 1/2 cup of crumbled turkey sausage (or chicken sausage) and eventually (once scooped) the innards of the zucchini with some chopped garlic, oregano, and black pepper in heated olive oil. This is your stuffing: Once you've scooped the inside of your boats (some use a melon baller, I use a tablespoon) stuff the boats with the sauteed concoction and place in a baking dish. Cover the boats and the sides with any tomato sauce you like. I use a simple Filetto di Pomodoro I actually made and froze from last season's tomatoes but any good sauce will do. Now sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over the boats and bake for 10-12 minutes. During the last minute or so, pop your broiler on and let that cheese get a little brown. You won't be sorry. Aaaaaaaannnnndd VOILA!

2 comments:

  1. Woah! Talk about information overload. New house and soon to be new husband. Goodness, next you'll be telling us there is soon to be a new arrival in the family. Well trust me, if you cook food like this for your man then he'll be living in culinary bliss. All the best for the future.  

    ReplyDelete