Welcome to my consumption. Cooking is how I express my personal creativity and my love for those I feed. For the most part, I try to eat clean (no white flour/refined sugar, I avoid heavily processed and fast foods) but I don't expect that of others.

I'm happiest in my kitchen, creating tasty vittles out of simple, wholesome foods.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chili-Cheese Fries Challenge

I've been feeling like a one-trick pony with my posts lately, so I've asked my readers to challenge my vittle-producing skills. I wanted to know (and still want to know, so keep the requests coming) what traditionally unhealthy food people were having a hard time avoiding. My friend Matt immediately piped up with, "Chili-Cheese Fries!" and nearly everyone agreed that this was a devil of a hang-up.
I fancy myself a healthifier...meaning that I have a heck of a knack for making innard-damaging meals nutritious and de-lish! However, I must admit, that I've never really had chili-cheese fries...challenge, indeed!
I was under the impression that I'd have to make the chili from scratch because that junk couldn't POSSIBLY come in a pre-made and healthy form. Ohhhh, I was wrong. In the picture you'll see a can of chili sauce. I was floored to see that all the ingredients were clean and no chemicals/preservatives. In fact, this off-brand (that I've never heard of) was healthier and had FAR less calories than the Amy's Organic Vegan chili. True story. The entire can only had 160 calories and it was $.99 (compared to Amy's $3.89). So, when making these, I strongly suggest you read the label of each can to be sure of what you're eating. Other brands were AWFUL! Tons of fat, chemicals, and preservatives. A general rule of thumb is to choose the product with the least ingredients, fyi.
Anyhow, let's get on with the recipe. Once I started cooking this, I was really excited about how creative I could get. This is the picture of all the ingredients I used for this recipe (minus a few seasonings, namely sea salt, cracked pepper, and chili power).
The first thing I did was cut the potatoes into french fry-sized strips. I loaded the fries into a gallon-sized ziploc, added two tablespoons of olive oil, zipped up and shook the bag until all fries had a thin coating of oil. Next, I baked them (single-layer) on a baking sheet at 375 for approximately 45 minutes, turning over once.
Finally, the fixings! I turned the oven down to 325 and used 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella to cover the fries sparsely. On top of that, i spread the chili sauce evenly over the fries. Then I added the tomato, red pepper, and onions (which were lightly sauteed with just cooking spray for a bit until they were clear). Over the veggies, I added the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and baked for another 12 or so minutes.
While they were baking, my home smelled SOOOO good. I couldn't wait to try the final product. Just to be sure I wasn't being biased, I had my friend, Myranda, come over to partake in the chili-fry-madness. They turned out amazing. The perfect combo of flavors without feeling disgusting afterwards. And the best part is that 80% of the entire recipe is made from fresh produce. The rest was beans (from the chili-sauce) and a bit of low-fat dairy. This challenge was a SUCCESS and I'm so thankful for the suggestion. Now I can't wait to see all my chili-cheese fry-fiending friends try this recipe for themselves. They're gonna be thrilled.


Now....who's next? What can I healthify for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment